Chinese National Day
Chinese New Year
Tips and Facts
- Golden weeks are biggest in mainland China but also celebrated in Hong Kong and Macao. Japan's golden week is completely different.
- Big cities become eerily quiet and empty. Many stores and restaurants will have limited hours or be closed so take that into consideration and shop for food or supplies early if there is anything you might run out of and need.
- Book flights, trains, buses, and hotels early. Many will sell out and increase in price.
- Avoid tourist attractions and popular sights, they will be ridiculously crowded and this is the worst possible time to see them.
- Avoid traveling on the busiest days, usually the first and last two days at the beginning and end of golden weeks. It will be hectic, claustrophobic, and crazy and take way longer than usual. October 1st is one of the worst days to travel and sight see.
- Transportation within cities (taxi, subway, local bus) is usually ok and not crowded within golden weeks, check to see if schedules and hours change in advance if needed.
- Traveling between cities in China is the most crowded but more and more Chinese people are starting to travel internationally on golden weeks so take that into consideration for international travel during these times as well, especially around Asia.